SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Preparing for holiday with a toddler


We had the pleasure of going to Great Yarmouth for holiday a couple of weeks ago, it was such a lovely time away and we had so much fun. One thing I always have to be, before we go anywhere is to be prepared for the trip. I've become very organised recently and I like getting things done straight away so there's nothing to worry about and it doesn't make me feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. If you want to find out more about how I stay prepared for holiday then keep reading to find out my tips and tricks.

Make sure you buy everything early

I made sure I bought Harry's clothes beforehand so I had a wide range of clothing to choose from. The best thing to do when on holiday is to pack for every occasion. I packed:
  • Jackets
  • Socks
  • jeans
  • Trousers
  • Leggings
  • Tops
  • Vests
  • Jumpers
  • Shirts
  • Swimming outfits
  • Sandals
  • Trainers
  • Pjamas
I pretty much packed 5 of each because you never know when you're going to need a spare outfit and also Harry can be a very messy toddler so it's important to pack for the messy moments. Although we could've easily bought clothing whilst on holiday it's nice to have something to fall back onto for all case scenarios and that's one of the main things that helped me keep on top of it all, and know that I was fully prepared clothing wise. I done the same for Owen and I however I packed way too many pieces of clothing for myself but you can never have too many I say.

I also made sure I had bought enough toiletries to keep in the suitcases so we had everything we needed,  including toothbrushes and little things like shampoo which we knew we were going to be using on holiday. I do tend to go all out when it comes to going on holiday, but I love knowing that we haven't forgotten anything and its nice to feel at home at the same time as being away. I made sure we had enough suncream, and also enough medicines too. You never know when you're going to need Calpol and something so random like Sudafed. 


Always pack before the day before

I packed around 5 days before we left, I can't be that person to pack the day before because I get so stressed and panicky and it puts me off going away. I pack all of the clothes that we're going to be wearing, the toiletries also and any spare shoes we're taking but won't be wearing. This helps because I can relax a little before we do go away and know that everything is ready to go. The only things I don't pack are the clothes we're all going to be wearing on the day, shoes for the day also. I would say I'm an early packer but with a toddler it's almost impossible to pack the day before because I'm constantly running after Harry all of the time anyway and I wouldn't get the chance to.

I pack loads of toys and books for Harry because even though he may not use them, it's lovely to have the choice and if Harry does ever get bored then we know how to help combat that. We also packed a variety of board games for evenings where we wanted to spend a bit of time inside and make the most of family time, I pretty much packed the majority of what we owned for a seven day holiday, prepared or silly?

Being  prepared for all the tantrums

I knew that Harry was going to have at least one tantrum on holiday because he's a toddler and that's what toddlers do. I knew that I needed to be prepared for this when it came to being on holiday as it's a time to be relaxed but also making sure boundaries are set in stone also. Making sure I'm calm so that Harry feels calm and also not letting it ruin the holiday is so important. The last thing I want is for Harry to feel unhappy whilst on holiday so making sure that he is kept happy and content means a lot to me. 


There isn't really much when it comes to being prepared for a holiday with a toddler. I covered the ones that helped me get through holiday because if I hadn't of been so organised, then I feel like the holiday would have been very stressful and hard. It's always good to plan ahead and be prepared for anything, and it also keeps my mind at ease and saves me from feeling over-anxious when I should be getting excited over holiday.

Kay x

Post a Comment