SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Let's cut the young-mum shaming




In society, we have pretty much categorised everyone, rich or poor, pretty or ugly, short or tall. One of the main things I have noticed society categorise are mums. All of the good mums are described as being older, yet the younger mums are described as being stupid, next to nothing or just a bad mum in general. When I fell pregnant I heard it all, "you've ruin your life now" "how can you afford a child?" "you're way too young to be having a child" "you should be ashamed of yourself." Believe it or not, these were the exact words I had heard when I announced my pregnancy, some even from family. It makes my blood boil because there are actually people who think they can actually have a say on what you do with your life, and make you out to be a nobody. I was so upset when I heard some of the things I did, I was expecting people to be happy and excited for me, not bashing me and making me feel like crap.



Everyone does life differently, some get married and have kids by 21, some do the same but at 40 years of age. There's no right or wrong way to living, if it makes you happy then so be it. It brings the whole judgmental thing to perspective, we all do it. Everyone assumes that because you've fallen pregnant at say 16 years of age, you don't care about anything or even you little one. It sounds so silly but imagine hearing Karen (haha) over the road saying you're not meant to be a mum because you're not 25. Doesn't sound nice does it? I fell pregnant at 17 years old but that doesn't mean that Harry's a mistake, it simply means life knew what I needed before I even did. I would never look at a young mother and think of her differently or that her parental worth is less because she's only just left college, no way. We shouldn't be judging peoples lives choices. A lot of young mums have completed school, got a qualification and then gone to have children. 

We all pay the same bills at the end of the day, we all walk on the same ground and all breathe in the same air, why does our age have to define us as a mother? Whatever people choose to do in life, that's no ones business but their own. Every single young mum I know has shown nothing but pure love for their children and you can see the amount of time and effort they put into their kids because it's their duty to do so. Ive given my absolute all into harry and made him who he is today, and i'm proud of doing that. I have a qualification in beauty therapy, but just because i've had a child before im 20, doesn't mean im not entitled to have an education further on in life. I'm currently studying another beauty course and looking into going university, because life doesn't end when you have a child, you don't lose yourself as a person. I lost a lot of friends and family, but they don't mean anything to me anymore because everything I have is right in front of me. 

I hope to god that one day all of the staring in the streets will end, and all of the small talk behind each others backs will end too, let people enjoy their lives and their children.

Kay x

Post a Comment